WSET Level 1 Award in Wines_Online
WSET® Level 1 Online Award in Wines (English) Four(4) Week Online Course
Learn about wines through our 4-week WSET Level 1 Online study program which offers students the flexibility to complete their study at a time and place that suits them. The Level 1 Award in Wines Online covers the same syllabus as the classroom course but through a supported and interactive Online Classroom which allows you to study alongside your peers under the guidance of a dedicated educator. This is a four-week, instructor led online course with fixed start and end dates.
The level of Knowledge Needed to Take This Course: None necessary
This class is especially recommended for:
- Those in the retail, wholesale or hospitality areas of the wine industry wishing to obtain greater knowledge and professional certification from a trusted internationally recognized organization;
- Wine enthusiasts wanting to gain a broad view of grapes and wines.
- Anyone wanting to learn how to taste and access wines professionally.
Module 1: What is Wine & How is it Made?
- Name the main parts of a grape and what they contain.
- Name the key stages in the annual cycle of grape growing and know what happens during ripening.
- Name and define different grape-growing climates and state how they can affect the characteristics of grapes. List the requirements for and the products of alcoholic fermentation.
- Name and correctly order the key stages in the production of still white, red and rosé wines.
Module 2: Types & Styles of Wine
- Identify the three main styles of wine: still wines, sparkling wines, fortified wines.
- Study the notable structural characteristics of all wines.
Module 3: Introduction to Tasting
- Learn how to taste wine and describe its notable characteristics using language from WSET's Systematic Approach to Tasting.
- Learn to distinguish differences and similarities between different styles of wine.
Module 4: Grape Varieties & Wines
- Name the principal grape varieties and identify the characteristics and styles of their wines.
- Identify and relate named wines from principal grape varieties to the grape varieties, types, characteristics and styles of wine.
- Identify and relate other popular named wines to the types, characteristics and styles of wine.
Module 5: Storage & Service of Wines
- Identify and define the ideal conditions for the short and long-term storage of wine.
- State the recommended service temperature for the principal types and styles of wine.
- State the correct procedures for opening and serving wine.
Module 6: Pairing Food & Wines
- Identify the principal food and wine interactions and recognise the effect they typically have on a wine.
Module 7: Revision & Resources
- Mock multiple-choice feedback examination which can be attempted as many times as the student likes.
Tasting is an essential part of studying for this course, and you will need to taste a minimum of 8 wines (not provided, but you will be given guidance on the styles to taste).
No blind tasting part for the exam.
Exam: Online or Classroom
The student arranges with AB Wine Academy to take the WSET Level 1 Exam.
The WSET Level 1 Award in Wines assessment is a closed-book examination. 30 multiple-choice questions worth one mark each to be completed in 45 minutes. You must achieve 70% to pass the exam and earn your certificate and pin.
The certificate for students passing an exam following completing an online course is exactly the same as for an in-class student. There is nothing on the certificate to mention the method of study (in class / online).